23 March 2020

COVID-19 puts a halt on my creativity

What a day! After a sleepless night, with all the uncertainty about the impending control measures, got up at 5:00 am to drive from Whangamata back to Auckland. Thought it was was going to be a normal Monday at work but was only there for 2.5 hours when we made the decision to pack as much as we could in the car and drive back down to our house in Whangamata. This is where we need to be for the Lockdown and to be able to work from home.

Unfortunately, there was no time to pack the mosaic picture I was currently working on (spread all over my work table) or any of my polymer clay, tools and equipment. We had to give priority to food, kitchen equipment/utensils, clothes and toiletries.

Post Script: We have just gone in to May now and I am really missing not being able to use my polymer clay, instead I am having to concentrate on decorating the house, with the supplies that we already have. This is creativity of a different sort, which is fine and needs to be done, but most of the jobs are not quite finished because there is something that is needed that we cannot buy at present. So many artists seem to be making the most of the extra time at home during Lockdown, I feel I am missing out on an opportunity. It is really frustrating being separated from your creative materials and equipment but we should be re-united in less than 6 weeks now (the tenancy on the Auckland apartment we were renting expires on 17 June, so we will have to go back before then to remove the rest of our belongings).

No comments:

Post a Comment