Friday, June 3, 2011

Progress photos of my mosaic artwork

I have been busy over the last week or so, creating different coloured pieces of polymer clay to cut into shapes for my first piece for the NZ Art Guild exhibition. I have posted some 'in progress' photos below, as I am going away for a long weekend, so it will be a while before I can do any more work on it.

Design sketched on to MDF board, backed with a wooden frame. (The first polymer clay pieces have been laid on the design)

Balsa wood has been cut for the top and bottom pieces, as they would have been too large to fit in my oven, if I had made them out of polymer clay

The balsa wood has been sealed with diluted PVA glue and then painted with several layers of acrylic paint

Here are some of the different coloured pieces of baked polymer clay I have made for this artwork. They are 2mm (3/32") thick and will be cut into shapes to fit the design

The first cut pieces have been glued on to the board

I will post the finished piece when it is complete.

2 comments:

  1. Claire, I have not been back to your blog for a while, I bookmark rather than follow, just easier for me but I wanted to day WOW on this project, I WILL be back to see how it comes out ! Good luck and happy claying !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment. It has been a 'labour of love' but I am so excited, I grouted it yesterday, so it is very nearly finished.

    ReplyDelete