21 March 2017

I am currently working on ...


It will be a good six months until the Labour Day Art & Craft Market at Mission Bay (Monday 23 October 2017), where I plan to launch my latest project that I am working on.

Swirl-StoNZ by Claire - hand sculpted ‘stones’ for all occasions


This is part of the display info that I am working on:

What are they for?
Great as a souvenir from New Zealand (I remember when I was a child taking pebbles home from the beach as a souvenir of my holiday) or as a gift; they can be made into jewellery, key-rings, charms and decorative accessories. They can be used to give a message or as a memento of a special occasion. My StoNZ also feel nice to hold in your hand, just as they are, and make great ‘calming stones’ for both adults and children

How do I make Swirl-StoNZ?
By rolling selected colours of polymer modelling clay into a ball and rotating it up to 100 times using the polymer clay lentil (or century) bead technique. I often add some extra detail, with slices from specially made canes, or write words into the pattern before they are baked to harden and preserve the design. Each one is unique.

I call the resulting lentils ‘StoNZ’, as they are created here in New Zealand. The swirl pattern is reminiscent of the Maori ‘koru’ symbol, which represents new beginnings, growth and harmony (see below for more info). As all StoNZ are created by myself, I can make them in your choice of colours or personalise them to commemorate special occasions – please ask.

The koru symbol – widely used in Maori art, carvings and tattoos, has also come to represent New Zealand (Aotearoa). Derived from an unfurling silver fern frond, the koru represents new beginnings, growth and harmony. New Beginnings both literally, in terms of new life and growth, and also a new start or new phase of life involving personal growth. To be in harmony with life is to understand, grow and change.

No comments:

Post a Comment