11 August 2011

Two bowls ... and scrap clay

Here are two bowls I have made from polymer clay. I used a small glass bowl as a form and pressed thin pieces of clay to cover the outside. After baking, I carefully prised the moulded clay from the glass.

Autumn Bowl
Patterned Bowl

And here is the scrap! I thought I would use up some old Kato clay (I  bought it a while ago to try but personally do not like the strong smell it has) but it turned out to be a disaster.

The old Kato Polyclay was very crumbly
It still cracked after extensive conditioning

I am only posting these photos because I want something to show for having wasted a good part of the day trying to condition this old clay. In the end I gave up and threw it in the bin!

2 comments:

  1. Your bowls are lovely!

    Can't believe you threw the Kato out! I love Kato clay, so much better to work with for me than the other softer clays. It does smell, and I don't like it but I can live with it.

    I wonder if it had been partly cured, although the old formula Kato was hard to condition after extensive conditioning it should be firm but pliable. Newer Kato itsn't anything like as difficult to condition but the pay off is it isn't as firm. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

    What brand do you use?

    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Premo Sculpey for all my work. It is easy to condition and work with but it does tend to go soft if you work it too much. I would love to try the new Pardo but no-one sells it in New Zealand and I am always wary about ordering from abroad, in case it starts to bake in transit.

    ReplyDelete